Many years of software development and product creation at independent software vendors
Aside from languages and frameworks, I also have experience with Agile Methodology, JIRA, Linux, Gradle, Maven, Docker, Git, Subversion, Jenkins, and Bamboo.
April 2019 - Present
November 2014 - February 2019
I performed a variety of tasks in developing Lowe’s second generation Iris smart home platform. I joined the team before a single line of code had been written and have been involved in most parts of the cloud platform.
- Created micro-services written in Java and communicating over an Apache Kafka based message bus.
- Created edge services communicating to external clients via REST interface and web-sockets using Java with the Netty library
- Made extensive use of Google Guice for dependency injection.
- Created data access objects for Apache Cassandra NoSQL database using Java with Cassandra SDK.
- Worked on generating graphical invoices from JSON information returned from payment service on customer support web portal.
- Created ETL software in Java to extract, analyze, and transform large amounts of data from Cassandra database and JSON data dumped from Apache Kafka message bus. The data was pulled from Azure blob storage and the transformed data was encrypted and written back to Azure.
- The ETL software utilized a web interface constructed with Jboss Undertow, the pebble template engine (same syntax as Twig) and Bootstrap.
- Created Zigbee protocol bindings for a Groovy based DSL to control IoT devices along with proprietary protocol bindings for IP-based IoT devices.
- Worked with Java in embedded application on an Arm-based device to handle communication with Zigbee and Z-Wave radios for low-powered mesh networking.
- Created a low resource web service for embedded diagnostics using Jetty, a simple template engine of my own design, and Vue Js to stream live diagnostic information.
April 2013 - October 2014
- Created REST backend services using C# .Net and connecting to SQL Server database.
- Created responsive Web application frontend using HTML, CSS, Kendo CSS library, JQuery, and Knockout. Data was retrieved from the backend using AJAX via JQuery.
- Used AWS to deploy test environment for services.
June 2011 - April 2013
Network Visualizer Web Application Development
- Created REST backend services with Java utilizing Spring Framework deployed with Resin application container in test and JBoss application container in production.
- Persisted data using Hibernate-based JPA to Postgres in test and Oracle in production.
- Worked at delivering streaming video via Web.
- Spring-based Java backend to deliver data to the interface via REST interface.
June 2011 - April 2013
I worked on Actuate e.Spreadsheet and e.Spreadsheet Designer—used for the designing reports for automatic generation of full-featured Excel spreadsheets pulling data from a variety of data sources. Used Java with Swing GUI and JDBC and XML for importing data.
- Created desktop UI using Java Swing.
- Created a GUI SQL editor in Java, generated SQL, and used JDBC to access data from SQL Server, Oracle, IBM DB2, Informix, and Sybase databases.
- Created a Web spreadsheet UI using GWT.